MacDill Air Force Base is an active United States Air Force installation located 4 miles south-southwest of downtown Tampa, Florida. The "host wing" for MacDill AFB is the 6th Air Refueling Wing, assigned to the Eighteenth Air Force of the Air Mobility Command. The 6 ARW is commanded by Colonel Stephen Snelson. MacDill Air Force Base, located in south Tampa, was constructed as MacDill Field, a U.S. Army Air Corps, later U.S. Army Air Forces, installation just prior to World War II. With the establishment of the U.S. Air Force as an independent service in September 1947, it became MacDill Air Force Base. During the 1950s and 1960s, it was a Strategic Air Command installation for B-47 Stratojet bombers.